October/November 2021 Catchup

 




Here are some very brief thoughts on new release films I've seen over the past two months. I know there are some thoughts here that go against the general consensus but I only represent what I think and what I like. Keep in mind that the ratings are mostly arbitrary and are not to be taken too seriously.


Dune creeps up on you and then it envelops you. It is one of the most immersive and accomplished sci-fi epics Hollywood has seen. Every aspect is masterful - the aesthetic, the ensemble, the score, the pace, the storytelling. Denis Villeneuve continues to cement his place as one of the modern greats. I will never forget the bagpipes. I desperately need Part 2. Wow. 


Last Night in Soho - Every great filmmaker bungles it once in a while. This is a messy, thinly drawn exercise in style that devolves into unintentional hilarity and an offensively superficial "exploration" of the trauma that follows sexual assault. Although the soundtrack is great and Thomasin is a sterling lead, this movie angered me in many ways. Technically immaculate but ultimately disappointing. The 3rd act is a disaster. 


Eternals is a glorious mess that at times plays like a Greek myth, with God-like characters debating the virtues of humanity and at times it gets too ham-fisted and rote in its self-seriousness. Yet it is more thoughtful and elegant and gorgeous than many of its ilk. The cast is uniformly interesting - everyone will have a different favorite character. Chloe Zhao is able to maintain her earthy visual style and deliberate pacing under the guise of the MCU. I'll take this over the same old same old. Not great, but fascinating and lovely all the same. 


The French Dispatch - Keeping in mind that I'm a mark for Wes Anderson, I adored this film. Perhaps Wes' most meticulously designed and theatrical work, it's a film of obsession and storytelling, mixed mediums, whimsy and an underlying sadness. Desplat's score is remarkable (of course it is!) and the ensemble is immaculate. 


tick...tick... BOOM! - One of the great movies about musical theater, the creative process, struggling as an artist. Lin's debut is remarkably assured. Andrew Garfield is transcendent. It's the performance of a lifetime but I think this man is just getting started. The "Sunday" scene is pure heaven. This is what great musical cinema can be. Bradley Whitford as Sondheim is chef's kiss. Robin de Jesus continues to grow and impress as an artist and an actor. I am in LOVE with this film. 


Spencer - All surface and no texture. Larrain's mannered direction, empty symbolism, and the cloying score form to create a cacophony that amounts to... the notion that Diana was miserable? It attempts to be a psychological "horror film" but it's too obvious and facile. The script has as much subtlety and insight as a sledgehammer to the face. Stewart is fine, all things considered. 


Ghostbusters: Afterlife - It's easy to choose cynicism about something like this film, but I found it to be a sweet and funny delight, with charm to spare. Considering the legacy involved, it earns its nostalgia and heart. A true passing of the baton. McKenna Grace is great - this is a star-making performance. Paul Rudd is our best cinema goofball. He may be the most likable actor alive. I love the pace and slow burn of the first 3rd, the Amblin esque mystery and approach as the greater story unfolds and the past begins to rear its head. Rob Simonsen's score is a terrific homage to the original film. On my second viewing I loved it even more and settled on 


Belfast - Lovely and warm, like cinema as childhood memoir. It feels deeply personal, rich with individual specificity, detail, and delicate black & white imagery. The ensemble is terrific: Jamie Dornan and Caitriona Balfe are magic. One of Branagh's best as director. I teared up multiple times. You could feel the love and affection for a time and a place and these people so clearly. 


Encanto is fairly remarkable and I suspect I'll only grow to love it more. The gorgeous animation, the resplendent colors, Lin's magical songs, the voice cast. More than that, though, it packs an emotional wallop for those who need it. For those who relate. It resonates deeply. I basically sobbed throughout the final 15 minutes. 


C'mon C'mon  - Being an uncle is one of the most important, defining aspects of my life. I also love Mike Mills. I expected to be in the bag for C’mon C’mon. And don’t get me wrong… it’s fairly good. Joaquin is great, the b&w is lovely, there’s some smart writing… But I didn’t feel it. Maybe it’s a bit too pat. A bit too annoying and smug. I felt detached from what should’ve been a strong emotional impact. 


Licorice Pizza - This one hurts. I know I'm in the minority here. Licorice Pizza has some funny moments, some chill vibes, & two charming debut performances. The 70mm looked fantastic. But this is my least favorite film from PTA. It’s aimless in a way that lost me, especially in the 3rd act. And some of the choices made me SO uncomfortable. Sigh. 

Comments

Popular Posts